As I was thinking about what my lesson would be on this month I kept thinking of the word "Joy". I wasn't sure why because it doesn't seem a very joyous time in the world right now. Then I wondered what the difference between joy and happiness was. I asked my 19 year old son Matthew what he thought the difference was and he said, "Joy is a deeper more spiritual feeling. You feel it right to the center of your being and you know it comes from God. Happiness is more secular, worldly almost. It's good but not as intense as joy." I just had to hug him! He totally gets it!
I found a quote that says, " Joy is more than happiness, just as happiness is more than pleasure. Pleasure is in the body. Happiness is in the mind and feelings. Joy is deep in the heart, the spirit, the center of the self. The way to pleasure is power and prudence. The way to happiness is moral goodness. The way to joy is sanctity, loving God with your whole heart and your neighbor as yourself." I thought this quote described Joy in a perfect way.
Sister Barbara W. Winder who was the Relief Society General President in 1987 gave a talk called Finding Joy in Life. In it she gives four steps that will help our lives be more joyful. #1:Developing a cheerful disposition wherein the Spirit can dwell. #2:Learning the Savior's will for us, that we may know our divine potential. #3Understaning and accepting his atoning sacrifice and repenting of our sins. #4: Keeping his commandments and having a firm determination to serve him.
President Uchtdorf said, "This is a joyful religion, one of hope, strength and deliverance." How blessed we are to have the restored gospel in our lives to help us through the difficult times that we all face. I'm grateful for the gospel and the joy it brings into my life. I hope that each of you wonderful sisters can find joy in your lives because as the scripture says, "Men are that they might have joy."
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Presidency Message by Julie B.
Posted by Julie at 12:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment